Nothing gets us in the holiday spirit at O1 Communications like our annual Staff Cookie Bake-Off! Eight O1 colleagues proved to not only be telecom experts, but also skilled bakers, while a panel of five O1 cookie connoisseurs played judge. From Snickerdoodles to Red Velvet Crinkles, contestants prepared a wide variety of cookie confections. Jeremy Fabilla, from our Network Operations Center, was ultimately named the winner with his delicious Rocky Road Cookies. If you like chocolate, you will love these treats.
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips, divided
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup marshmallows
- 1 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- Melt 1 cup of the chocolate chips with the butter in the top of a double boiler until smooth. Remove from the heat, and let it cool to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line cookie sheet pans with parchment paper, or silicone non-stick baking sheets, and set aside.
- To make the batter, combine the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl, and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until thick and light yellow, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour mixture and cooled chocolate, and beat for 1 minute. Fold in the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips, the marshmallows, and the nuts, if using.
- Drop a tablespoon of batter onto the prepared cookie sheet pans about 2 inches apart. Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until just firm.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, and cool for 5 minutes before removing from the cookie sheet pans.
Adapted from momables.com